This is the place to get the latest Everest news and events.
What You’ll Learn in Everest’s Medical Assistant Program
Posted Tuesday, Nov 8, 2011 by Allen B. Ury
For a high school graduate looking to enter the health care field, medical assisting can be an attractive career path. Entry-level medical assistant positions usually require only a year or so of training. The work itself is often interesting and varied. And in the Pittsburgh area, employment opportunities are expected to be “bright” for the coming decade.*
Everest Institute in Pittsburgh offers a Medical Assistant career education program that can have you ready to interview for entry-level medical assistant positions in just 10 months. Taught by health care industry professionals, the program combines traditional classroom activities with intensive hands-on practice in a simulated medical office environment.
In Everest’s Medical Assistant program, you’ll learn and practice key skills you’ll use daily as a professional medical assistant. These include:
- Appropriate medical terminology for the conditions, processes and treatments with which you’re likely to encounter
- Working with antiseptics and infection control
- Drawing blood
- Preparing fluid samples
- Clinical responsibilities, such as preparing patients for examination
- Taking medical histories
- Managing medical records
- Taking vital signs as pulse, temperature and blood pressure
- Performing office duties, such as answering phone, setting appointments, preparing invoices, processing payments and submitting insurance forms
Once you graduate, you can take advantage of Everest’s Career Services. Representatives in this department can help you transition from school to the workforce with services that include:
- Helping with resume preparation
- Interview coaching
- Business wardrobe selection
- Identifying local employers
- Helping set up initial interviews
About the Pittsburgh Campus
Everest Institute in Pittsburgh is situated downtown just across the street from Liberty Avenue Park at 100 Forbes Avenue. In addition to its Medical Assistant program, the campus offers these career education programs:
- Business Administration
- Criminal Justice
- Massage Therapy
- Medical Insurance Billing and Coding
- Patient Care Technician
- Pharmacy Technician
For more information on the Medical Assistant program and other programs, including schedules, tuition and how to enroll, contact Everest today!
Financial aid is available for those who qualify.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program and other important information, please visit our website at www.everest.edu/disclosures.
* The table below shows the long term employment projections for Medical Assistants in Three Rivers WIA.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry