Paralegal/Legal Assistant Careers
When you graduate from one of Everest's Paralegal career training programs, you can be qualified to work as a paralegal or legal assistant in a variety of office settings.* Many of Everest Paralegal program graduates have gone on to find positions with:
- Law firms -- Law firms and legal offices come in sizes ranging from individual practices to mega-firms that support hundreds of attorneys. Many small- to medium-sized law firms specialize in a single area of the law, such as criminal law, civil law, contract law, patent law, probate law, family law or personal injury law. Larger firms often have separate divisions that focus on these individual specialties.
- Corporate legal departments -- Larger businesses often have in-house legal departments devoted to handling the company's legal issues. These departments handle everything from business-to-business contracts to patent and copyright enforcement to dealing with state and federal regulators.
- Government agencies -- Most county, state and federal agencies employ attorneys -- and paralegals -- to handle a variety of legal issues. District and state's attorney offices in particular are packed solid with lawyers and paralegals as these are the agencies responsible for prosecuting accused criminals.
- Legal Aid Offices -- Legal aid offices are privately funded groups that provide free or low-cost help to people who can't otherwise afford legal representation. Legal aid offices commonly deal with minor property disputes, landlord/tenant issues, immigration problems and misdemeanor-level criminal defense.
- Title Companies -- Title companies specialize in providing documentation that proves individuals or businesses have a legal claim on the property they occupy or intend to sell. Title searches are routine in real estate transactions, and paralegals and legal assistants easily perform this kind of work.
- Consumer Groups -- Consumer groups often employ legal teams to file formal complaints against companies whose products or services they believe cause harm to customers.
Specific positions you may qualify for include:
- Legal Assistant
- Executive Assistant
- Legal Secretary
- Legal File Clerk
Everest does not guarantee employment. Your hiring will depend on a variety of factors, including local market conditions as well as your own abilities, skills and work ethic.
Want to know more about Everest's paralegal programs? Contact Everest today. A friendly Everest representative will get back to you immediately to answer your questions.
* Your own hard work, professionalism, experience, work attitude, local market and other factors will impact your personal employment opportunities and pay.